Friday, February 10, 2012

Le Caveau 30 & Charly's and Whateverthefuckelse We Did Yesterday

(My roommates, Jenn and Molly, and myself at the restaurant)
The main event of yesterday was an excursion to a nice French restaurant called Le Caveau 30 organized by AIFS. We were all very excited about this, because the food in the cafeteria is usually rather disappointing and has been giving everyone subtle indigestion. Needless to say, we're in France, and it's time for some proper food.
I ordered the sea bass as my main dish. It was very good, and this might be the first time I've posted a picture of a meal on the internet unironically, so let's appreciate this moment.
After dinner, the majority of us split off from the group and stopped at a small bar called Charly's, which is basically a cave.
However the ambiance is fantastic and all of our pictures look like we were at some hoppin club and not a tiny bar in Cannes cramming people in on top of each other, so I have to give it a lot of credit for that. It was terribly fun, and I got an expensive blue cocktail and left reeking of the cigarette smoke, and that was that.
(Abriel, myself, and Jenn, shortly after explaining how bad we are at being photographed. I really love this picture though.)
Last night was the first time I've been out since we got to Cannes, and it was definitely worthy of the experience. My roommates and I aren't particularly like go hard every night all day erry day people, much more like go hard certain nights and look fierce while you do it people. Or just...genuinely do things to enjoy yourself people. Which is a good place to be.

More fun things I can tell you about today are A) The large group of Japanese kids that dress like anime characters and giggle behind their hands and make origami at dinner and are every stereotype imaginable and SO ADORABLE that have recently begun attending the College, and B) That apparently the College is haunted. Jean-Phillipe (who is not French and is in fact a Filipino kid from LA, which I realize could be misleading) told Jenn that this used to be a hospital for children with tuberculosis. Jenn extrapolated from that that the College is haunted, which we were debating the facts of. Today she asked her teacher, who told her that the College WAS in fact a hospital and IS in fact haunted. Apparently a lot of people on the 3rd floor heard a little girl screaming last night (my thoughts on this were that it was a drunk bitch and not a ghost child, but I couldn't say for certain) and the teacher said there is a ghost woman who floats above the chapel at night, which a lot of people that have lived on the 3rd floor have reported seeing. She's supposedly a nice ghost though with good energy. That doesn't mean it's not SCARY AS FUCK though. It wasn't scary this morning when we were talking about it, but as it's getting dark, not gonna lie, I'm a little un-at-ease. If you don't know this about me, basically I choose not to believe in ghosts because I think it'd be the SCARIEST SHIT EVER IF IT WERE REAL. Except I kind of do think they're real. And would rather not think about it. Ughhhh.

Studying abroad is really hard. The ghosts don't help, but that's not the point. It's really hard but has moments of being exquisite. I write this blog to be funny and primarily share with you highlights of my experiences, because no one (including myself) wants to read about how fucking lonely it is a lot of the time and how scared and trapped and frustrated you feel occasionally. My roommates and I have talked about this a lot, and it's becoming clearer, as we sort of move into the second week, that everyone has been having a rough time of it. I mean, we moved to a foreign country for 4 months, away from our families, friends, schools, lives...it's easy to look at this from the outside and be like Oh! The south of France! How blissfully majestic that must be all of the time! But truthfully, while it is often majestic, it doesn't lessen how hard it is to make this adjustment. They tell you about that at all the meetings, but you don't really understand until you live it. You have to understand this isn't about being ungrateful or unappreciative, because we all appreciate everything here, it's just that...this isn't a vacation. We're not in Kansas anymore. There are some great ups and there are some really bad downs, especially at the start. You have friends, but it's a constant state of getting to know people. We do some great things, and it has beautiful moments of being really fun, but know that it's well...still life. Just somewhere else. It's all a process and I'll definitely be talking about this more as it develops.

We're going to Monaco all day tomorrow. Everyone has their panties in a twist because it might rain and we have to bring pack lunches from the cafeteria. And our school is haunted.

Like I said. Studying abroad is hard. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment